You can reset your phone in several ways:
- Via the phone’s user interface menu, press the settings menu button, go to the “Service” submenu, select “Reset Settings” and enter the Administrator password.
- Using the phone’s web interface – go to the phone’s web interface in Administrator mode in the menu “Advanced → Update” and press the “Reset” button.
- Remotely using the command phoneIP / advanced_update.htm? reset = Reset
ATTENTION: Phone configuration and all entries in the local phone book will be lost. This method is not a complete reset to the Factory Settings. Resets all settings, but leaves some details, such as certificates used.
Force firmware update
Forced firmware update through “Network Recovery” is intended for several possible situations:
- You need to use a specific phone firmware, different from the one that is currently installed.
- You want to be 100% sure that your phone is completely reset to factory settings.
- There is no other way to get the phone to work again.
ATTENTION: This procedure will erase the entire phone memory, so all phone settings will be lost.
In this method, we describe in detail the step-by-step procedure using a TFTP / HTTP / SIP / DHCP server SPLiT which you can download here.
SPLiT is a third-party software. Use it as you wish. Snom assumes no liability for third-party products.
1. Download SPLiT and phone firmware
In order to reset to factory defaults using network recovery, you need to download the SPLiT application and corresponding firmwareyou want to install. After downloading the firmware file, you must rename it in accordance with the following table:
Model – File name
snomD120 – snomD120-r.bin
snomD305 – snomD305-r.bin
snomD315 – snomD315-r.bin
snomD325 – snomD325-r.bin
snomD345 – snomD345-r.bin
snomD375 – snomD375-r.bin
snomD385 – snomD385-r.bin
snomD712 – snomD712-r.bin
snomD715 – snom715-r.bin
snomD725 – snom725-r.bin
snomD735 – snom735-r.bin
snomD745 – snomD745-r.bin
snomD765 – snomD765-r.bin
snomD785 – snomD785-r.bin
Save the SPLiT program to a directory, in the same directory create a subfolder with the name http, ftp or tftp (lower case). Copy the firmware file to the appropriate directory.
2. Start the HTTP / TFTP server
(as an alternative to the SPLiT solution presented here, you can, of course, configure your own HTTP, FTP or TFTP server)
- Run SPLiT as administrator
On Mac / OSX:
- Open terminal
- Add execute permission in the SPLiT application: chmod + x SPLiT1.1.1OSX
- Run the SPLiT file in the terminal using sudo: sudo ./SPLiT1.1.1OSX
Once the software is running:
- Click on the checkbox Debug
- Paste the IP address of your computer in the field IP address
- Make sure the catalog fields HTTP, FTP or TFTP contain tftp value
- Press button Start HTTP / TFTP Server
3. Reboot the phone
The next step is to launch the phone in the so-called Rescue mode:
On the D3xx and D7xx:
- Disconnect the phone from the power source and press # (sharp).
- Keep pressed # while reconnecting the phone to the power source and during a reboot.
- Or click ** ## and hold the # (sharp) key until “Rescue mode“
You can choose between:
- 1. Reset – is not a complete Reset to Factory Settings. Resets all settings, but leaves some details, such as the certificates used.
- 2. Network recovery – Allows you to initiate a firmware update via HTTP, FTP and TFTP.
Select 2. “Network Recovery.” Then you need to type:
- IP address your phone
- Gateway (to contact the computer)
- Server, The IP address of your PC running the HTTP, FTP, or TFTP server.
And finally select protocol (HTTP, FTP or TFTP) using an example TFTP.
Note: updating the firmware using “Network Recovery” erases all settings in the flash memory. This means that all previous settings will be lost.
If you do not want to use “Split”, you can save the firmware file also on the local web server. In this case, enter the IP address of the server from which you want to download the firmware.
Important: keep in mind that the server with the firmware must be on the same network as your Snom phone.
In this article we wanted to show and tell how you can work with the software of our phones. As you can see, there may be different situations and we have solutions for them. In any case, if you encounter something complicated in technical terms, please contact our resource service.snom.com and also there is a separate help desk where there is a community and forum – here you can ask a question that interests you and get an answer from our engineers.