Hewlett Packard Enterprise Experience
Hewlett Packard Enterprise GreenLake Product Line Leader Keith White approvesthat in the near future 70% of the work processes will be performed on the local infrastructure. “I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of clients who planned to use only the public cloud,” he says. White says that when a company is moving many complex workflows to public cloud infrastructure, costs skyrocket.
White shares another insight. Although he was one of the leaders of Microsoft Azure for seven years, he admits that most companies did not seriously plan to move to the public cloud. “When people start learning about a topic and see the cost of working with a public cloud and the lack of flexibility in using the right tools, that’s a different story,” White says. According to him, flexibility is important in many areas. For example, for manufacturing and healthcare, which do not have the ability to place data in public clouds, both due to regulatory requirements and for security reasons.
He also gives a specific example related to robotics in a manufacturing enterprise. “If the infrastructure is built on a public cloud, you will not be able to set up efficient operation at the local level due to delays. In this industry, even a small delay will result in inefficiencies that can impact revenues. ”
The case for publicity
Supporters public clouds have three main advantages.
- This is the best choice for development – using such a cloud, you can separate the product testing environment from the production environment and avoid disruptions.
- It is a good choice for corporate email. Providing the required level of security with the help of the company’s in-house specialists is long and expensive. And the public cloud providers have already accumulated enough expertise to make the posting of the mail service there reliable.
- There are enough people who want to hack public servers, so such companies spend serious efforts and resources on security. If you’re going to be using a large public cloud provider, you probably won’t have to worry.
If these criteria are not important for the business, but are important, for example, security and the ability to build a more flexible infrastructure, it makes sense to consider the option of a private cloud installation.
Cloud trends in Russia
According to Deputy General Director of ITGLOBAL.COM Vasily Belov, private clouds are becoming more popular in our country, as in the rest of the world. The main reason is that companies’ tasks are becoming more complex, infrastructure and requirements for it are growing. Traditional technologies are no longer enough, and moving to a private cloud is a logical evolutionary step.
Belov says that security due to the isolation of infrastructure is also one of the important advantages. If you are hosted in a public cloud, it usually costs nothing for an attacker to obtain a test machine from a provider. After that, he is already “inside the perimeter” together with the cloud and can try, for example, to scan ports in search of vulnerabilities. In a private cloud, this possibility is physically eliminated.
One of the properties of a private cloud that becomes decisive for many: here you do not share computing resources with everyone else, and the data is isolated at the physical level. The only relative downsides are the higher cost compared to the public cloud and less fast scaling. Here are the benefits:
- Quick access to the IT resources you need. At the same time, compliance with regulations and the level of security is flexibly monitored. This reduces the likelihood of errors.
- Quickly launch IT infrastructure in the cloud and pool resources.
- Flexible cloud scaling. You can quickly respond to changes in needs.
- Safety. Only authorized users and devices can be given access.
- Fast launch of virtual machines.
A good provider will not convince you to host all services on their site. He will first examine the infrastructure, conduct an audit, understand your goals and suggest the best solution.
Another sign of a good provider is that it is not afraid to offer hosted in third-party public clouds like Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud. Where others can see competition, he sees an opportunity for collaboration. An experienced service provider will also take over the administration, monitoring and first line of infrastructure support.
The choice between public and private cloud is a choice between two sets of benefits. On the side of public clouds – low price, simplicity, speed of service deployment and payment only for the resources used. If your personal requirements and data security are critical for you, your choice is a private cloud.
Blog ITGLOBAL.COM – Managed IT, private clouds, IaaS, information security services for business:
- Managed IT model as an alternative to outsourcing and outstaffing. Service Provider Experience
- 10 billion contract: who will deal with the cloud for the Pentagon
- How we found the vulnerability in the bank’s mail server and how it threatened
- Why one of the largest IT companies has joined CNCF, a cloud infrastructure fund
- Hyperscale data centers: who builds them and how much they cost