However, the technologies developed by the Magic Leap engineers deserve attention and can be used in other projects. An attempt to do this was made by people from a failed business. These are Chief Executive Officer Tamir Berliner and Chief Operating Officer Tomer Kahan. In addition to them, the company also employs ex-employees from Apple and Microsoft. In total, the team includes about 60 people.
Thanks to their efforts, a laptop with a virtual display appeared. It sounds loud, but in fact it is a system unit with all the same glasses.
• Processor – Snapdragon 865.
• RAM – 8 GB.
• Storage – SSD 256 GB.
• Two 10Gbps USB-C ports supporting the DisplayPort 1.4 standard.
• Wireless modules 5G NR Sub-6, Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.1.
• Webcam with a resolution of 2560×1920 pixels.
• Fingerprint’s scanner.
As for the battery, it lasts about five hours of the device, which is not so much. It charges up to 85% in about a couple of hours. The mass of the device together with the headset is 1.5 kg.
In general, the device is designed for office work, more or less heavy applications for working with media files and, moreover, games, it simply will not pull.
There is also a small display that can be used to display QR codes and a webcam with a resolution of 2560×1920 pixels.
In general, nothing stunning, but the highlight here is precisely in
virtual display VR headset.
Learn more about VR headset
It is included in the kit, its size in the unfolded state is 146x175x44 mm. The glasses are capable of providing a viewing angle of 53 degrees. On the right side of the glasses is a button that is designed to adjust the brightness of the image on the virtual display.
As for the refresh rate, it’s 72Hz at 1080p for each eye. And the headset has built-in speakers. As a result, according to the developers, a curved screen with a diagonal of 100 inches is revealed to the user in the headset. The user controls the cursor using the touchpad. There are also gestures that, in particular, allow you to zoom in on the screen.
The software here is proprietary, it is the Spacetop OS operating system, which is designed to work with web applications.
The company claims three main advantages of the device:
- It is designed so that the user does not think about control, there is no external equipment other than a headset. Everything is convenient and intuitive. There are gestures for control, but there are not many of them, so you don’t need to learn how to work with the device – you sit down and work.
- Unlimited workspace. This means that the screen can be scaled, but 100 inches can be deployed both at home or in the office, and, for example, on an airplane or train.
- Data protection. The user works in glasses, no one can look into the monitor, so neither filters for the display, nor any other protective measures are required.
And how much is this miracle of technological progress?
Here is just the most interesting – the cost of the device is $ 2000. And what’s more, you won’t be able to buy a device just like that – you need to fill out a form on the company’s website and get approval. It is planned to sell no more than 1000 units.
The move is a little strange, since products of this kind cannot be called super-demand anyway, and an artificial limitation of sales can negatively affect the popularization of the device and its future fate.
Manufacturers explain their actions by saying that they just want to understand what users need and if they are satisfied with the device, then an improved version of the device will be released in the near future. Well, in general, the company considers the start of sales of Spacetop “the beginning of a revolution in the world of laptops.”
You may also be interested in these texts:
→ Create a Django blog with polls and tests. Brief instruction. Part 1
→ Ready-made Kubernetes clusters or self-deployment? What to choose
→ When typing hurts you: how we got a static analyzer