Firefly is no stranger to single board PC development. She recently shipped Station P2 RK3568, which received Indiegogo funding. Now a new device has appeared, the capabilities of which will be enough for a variety of projects – from simple to complex.
The single-board ROC-RK3566-PC is called. It is based on a quad-core Cortex-A55. The system supports up to 8 GB of RAM, 128 GB of flash memory. It also has support for SSDs, HDMI 2.0, Gigabit Ethernet, and a number of other useful features. Read more about them under the cut.
Features and capabilities
The company released several modifications of the same model at once. The initial configuration includes 2GB of RAM and 32GB of flash storage. There is also a variant with 4 GB of RAM. The maximum configuration is 8 GB of RAM and 128 GB of flash memory, not to mention the ability to install an SSD.
- System-on-a-chip: 4-core RockChip RK3566 Cortex-A55 with core frequencies up to 1.8 GHz. The system includes an Arm Mali-G52 2EE GPU with OpenGL ES 1.1 / 2.0 / 3.2 support. OpenCL 2.0. Vulkan 1.1, 0.8 TOPS NPU, 4Kp60 H.265 / H.264 / VP9.
- RAM: 2GB, 4GB, 8GB LPDDR4 RAM.
- Internal Storage – 32GB to 128GB eMMC, with M.2 2242 NVMe SSD connectivity thanks to the M.2 PCIe 2.0 slot. There is also a slot for microSD memory cards.
- Video Outputs: HDMI 2.0 up to 4Kp60, plus MIPI DSI up to 1080p60.
- Audio: HDMI and 3.5mm jack.
- Camera: MIPI-CSI with support for 8 MP cameras.
- Networking: Gigabit Ethernet, plus Wi-Fi 5 (802.11 a / b / g / n / ac) and Bluetooth 5.0.
- USB: 1x USB 3.0 port, 1x USB 2.0 port, 1xUSB Type C OTG.
- Expansion: 30-pin IO with I2C, SPI, UART, ADC, PWM, GPIO, I2S, etc.
- Additional features: recovery, reset and power buttons, two-color LED, IR receiver.
- Power supply: 5V via USB-C.
- Size: 90mm * 60mm.
By the way, low-profile Ethernet is an infrequent guest in single-board devices. Khadas VIM3 / VIM3L and a small number of boards from other manufacturers have a similar solution.
The developers say that their single-board is a competitor to the Raspberry Pi 4, but still this is not entirely true – the new item has more functions, plus it is several times more expensive than the “raspberry”. So its competitors are more likely single-board devices of a similar price category.
The developers promise to provide support for several operating systems, including Android 11, Ubuntu 18.04, Buildroot + QT, Station OS (this is the operating system from the developers of the single board). So far, only the Android 11 image and source code for this system has been prepared. In addition, the creators of mini-PCs have opened access to software firmware tools that available here…
Thanks to its capabilities, mini-PCs can be used in a wide variety of projects, including the development of compact clusters.
And now about the important thing – the price. There is now a discounted price of $ 75 and $ 105 for boards with 2 GB and 4 GB of RAM, respectively. After a month, the cost will increase to $ 89 and $ 119. Well, after a while, an option with 8 GB will appear. Its price is unknown, but it can be assumed that it will not be less than $ 130- $ 140.